Undergoing tummy tuck surgery can have a significant impact on a person’s confidence and overall quality of life. This body contouring procedure restores the abdominal area to a firmer and smoother aesthetic by simultaneously addressing loose abdominal skin, fat deposits, and weak rectus muscles. To ensure you obtain the desired results and enjoy the most comfortable experience possible, you should expect to follow specific aftercare instructions for a minimum of four to six weeks. Some of the recommended practices as well as what should be avoided during your tummy tuck recovery are listed below.
- Get plenty of rest: Resting helps you recover faster and gives your body the chance to heal the treated areas. However, taking short, slow walks as soon as possible will help promote circulation and reduce the risk of developing blood clots.
- Arrange for a friend or relative to help you during at least the first week of recovery: You will need to take it easy during the initial stage of your recovery, especially if you have small children. It is recommended to have someone stay with you for the first week after surgery to help prepare meals and perform other household tasks.
- Consume a healthy diet: After surgery, patients are prone to constipation. Eating foods rich in fiber and protein as well as staying hydrated can prevent constipation. Healthy foods can also give the body the nutrients it needs to heal properly.
- Use any tobacco products: Smoking or chewing tobacco can impede the healing process and lead to other complications. Patients are also advised to avoid the use of electronic cigarettes to ensure they have a safe recovery.
- Sunbathe: Once the swelling has subsided, you may be tempted to show off your new silhouette at the pool or beach. However, exposing your scars to direct sunlight can cause them to darken and become more noticeable. If your incisions have not healed completely, unprotected sun exposure can interfere with the healing process.
- Rush into strenuous physical activity: Tummy tuck surgery can take a toll on your body, so easing into exercise and other activities is crucial for your safety and comfort. Avoid rushing into your usual fitness routine per your doctor’s recommendations.
- Drink alcohol: Like tobacco, alcohol can decrease blood flow and lead to postoperative problems and poor healing. Additionally, alcohol should not be mixed with most pain medications, which will likely be prescribed to you after your tummy tuck.
Specific Directions for Your Recovery
Taking care of yourself during the initial stage of recovery allows the treated areas to heal properly. Because your surgeon will have reviewed your medical history and the details of your procedure before your scheduled surgery, you must follow all of your doctor’s aftercare instructions. Because every tummy tuck is tailored to the patient, all patients receive aftercare directions that reflect their unique procedure and needs.
To learn more about tummy tuck surgery and the recovery process, please schedule a consultation by calling our Carlsbad plastic surgery office at 760-637-5288 today!